Friday, January 9, 2015

Too Many Eggs? Why Not Dehydrate Them!

 Considering it's winter time, I usually get just a few eggs daily, or often one or none from my little brood of 9 Black Australorps.  But not this year.

My little gals have been working overtime laying on average, 13 eggs every two days.  Even during the coldest snaps.

For our empty nest, with just the three of us (yes, our youngest daughter is still stuck at home...poor thing...) we can't possibly eat all of them.  

Since July I've been inundated with eggs, and so something needed to be done.  Can I just say, I love my dehydrator?  It always comes through for me!

It's a simple process that anyone can do, regardless of the brand of dehydrator you might have.  



Step One:

Crack your eggs into a blender, and whip them on high.  The fluffier you get them, the better they dry...and the quicker.



Step Two:

Line your tray with wax paper or a "fruit leather" tray cover.  I fold up the edges of my paper, to make a tray with sides.  That way your eggs don't run off the edges.




Step Three:

Place your trays in your machine, and if you have a temperature gauge turn it to 135-145 degrees.  Otherwise, just turn it on, and wait for it to get crackly and crispy. 
Then turn it off and let it cool down before you put it in the food processor.


Step Four:

After you brush off the dehydrated eggs into the food processor, you'll need to alternately pulse it, and let it run, and do this back and forth, until you get the nice powder you're going to be happy with.


Step Five:

Place your powdered eggs in a zippy bag, and store them in a paper lunch sack in a cool dry place.





Using Your Eggs Is Simple:

2 T. dry egg powder + 1/4 c. water for a large egg, will work perfect for baking.


I've never thought they re-constituted really well. I think they seem to be  better as baking items since they get a strange texture when you rehydrate them and scramble them, but that's just me.  You may love them in an omelette!  Experiment for yourself, and see what works best for your family.

Done right, dried thoroughly, and stored properly, these eggs can have a shelf life of 5-10 years.   


I would love to hear how you put dehydrated eggs to good use!  Leave a comment below!

 The information presented at Herbs and Wildcrafting is for educational purposes only. No statement has been evaluated by any federal agency, medical expert, nutritionist or even the town gossip.  Remember to do your  research.  


No comments:

Post a Comment